Ewww… Another Case Of Paraprosdokian
By Nurse Mark
Ok, Now that I have your attention…
We examined the paraprosdokian with some examples in a recent issue of HealthBeat News, and it was a popular article – lots of folks got a chuckle from the article and wrote to say so.
A paraprosdokian is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part. It is frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect.
Here are some more – have fun with them!
- How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
- I thought I wanted a career; turns out I just wanted paycheques.
- Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says “If an emergency, notify:” I put “DOCTOR.”
- I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
- Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars, but check when you say the paint is wet?
- Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut and still think they are sexy.
- Why do Americans choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America ?
- Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
- A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
- You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
- The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
- Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won’t expect it back.
- A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip
Posted in Funnies | No Comments »