By Nurse Mark
Who has not heard of Confucius – an ancient Chinese philosopher, teacher, and politician who lived 500 years before Christ.
The wisdom and philosophy of this man continue to guide millions today and scholars continue to study his teachings.
One of Confucius’ more famous teachings is sometimes called “The Silver Rule” for it teaches in a somewhat different fashion that which the more well known “Golden Rule” teaches.
The “Golden Rule” admonishes us to “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”.
The “Silver Rule” as taught by Confucius says “What you do not wish for yourself, do not do to others.”
Most scholars believe that both these “rules” teach the same moral value, simply from different directions.
Confucius lived for some 71 or 72 years. In China his heritage has been followed through the ages and his modern descendants are still recognized and honored.
The teachings of Confucius are widely know world-wide. There are few people who have not heard, in whatever language they speak, the words “Confucius say…” followed by some pithy bit of “wisdom” that may or may not be actually attributable to the great teacher himself.
The Analects, or Lunyu (Chinese for “Selected Sayings”), also known as the Analects of Confucius is a collection of sayings and teachings attributed to Confucius. Here are a few of those tidbits of wisdom:
- Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
- Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
- Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses.
- He who will not economize will have to agonize.
- Respect yourself and others will respect you.
- Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart.
- Study the past if you would define the future.
- When anger rises, think of the consequences.
Confucius NOT Say…
- Man who wants pretty nurse, must be patient.
- Passionate kiss, like spider web, leads to undoing of fly.
- Lady who goes camping must beware of evil intent.
- Squirrel who runs up woman’s leg will not find nuts.
- Man who leaps off cliff jumps to conclusion.
- Man who runs in front of car gets tired. Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
- Man who eats many prunes get good run for money.
- War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
- Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.
- It takes many nails to build a crib but only one screw to fill it.
- Man who drives like hell is bound to get there.
- Man who stands on toilet is high on pot.
- Man who live in glass house should change clothes in basement.
- Man who fish in other man’s well often catch crabs.
Finally, maybe Confucius DID Say…
“A lion will not cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood!”
Posted in Funnies | No Comments »